Thursday, March 8, 2012

Review: The Summer I Turned Pretty


The Summer I Turned Pretty
The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



I read this because it was recommended to me, and the book flap made it sound interesting. Sad to say, I was disappointed with this book. Belly seems to be a stereotype of a teenaged girl whose parents have money (though it is mentioned that Susannah's family has more money - Belly's family obviously has plenty of their own money). She is shallow and never satisfied (her father buys her a piano, but she doesn't like it because it's out of tune; anything her mother asks of her is cause for high drama). She can't be happy with Cam because she can't believe that he thought she was pretty when she felt that she was ugly - she thinks he's lying to her so she never fully trusts him. When she doesn't get her way she pouts. Flashbacks show this to be a pattern that has been present throughout her lifetime. Is it any wonder the boys never wanted her around? She was a whiny tattletale as a child, and now she is a whiny self-centered teen.

The ending was confusing - it seemed to just drop off in the middle of a thought. It wasn't until I came online to record having read this book that I discovered that this was the first of a trilogy. I'm not currently planning to read the other two books.



View all my reviews


I read this book as part of the Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment