Friday, February 10, 2012

Review: Kirsten's Surprise: A Christmas Story


Kirsten's Surprise: A Christmas Story
Kirsten's Surprise: A Christmas Story by Janet Beeler Shaw

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I read this years ago when it was a much newer book and there were only three American Girls. Kirsten was my favorite because she looked the most like me, and because I have always had a soft spot for stories about frontier life, though I have to admit I always loved Samantha's clothes.

In this book, Kirsten is about to experience her first Christmas season in America. She wants things to be the same as they were in Sweden, and that includes having all of the same items they had in Sweden, some of which are in storage in a town ten miles away. Ten miles seems like nothing these days - I drove more than 10 miles today alone. But in 1854, during winter in Minnesota, ten miles was a long way, and it is questionable whether they will be able to make it to town to get the trunks before being snowed in until Spring.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I remember this book! My sister had a Kirsten doll and had a lot of her stuff, including some of the books.

    ReplyDelete