Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Review: Peter Pan


Peter Pan
Peter Pan by James M. Barrie

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I realized recently that I had never read this book, so I decided to get it from the library. I have seen many movies depicting the story, so I thought I knew the basics of it. And I was right. I knew the basics.

What I didn't know was astonishing. I did not know (or did not remember) the language used in the story. Granted, it was written in another time and place, but the terminology ("Redskins" being a prime example) is considered offensive by many these days, and to those who do consider it offensive do not consider the time it was written to be a valid excuse for using such language/terms.

This alone means that Peter Pan is no longer a children's story. It is one that needs to wait until children are old enough to understand that words like that are no longer appropriate.

I gave this four stars because the story is, ultimately, still a very enjoyable tale. :)



View all my reviews


I read this book as part of the Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment